PORT HUGHES TOURIST PARK
ACTIVITIES & THINGS TO DO
Enjoy a holiday on the coast like no other with picturesque surfing spots, pristine places to fish and kilometres of white, sandy beaches which make awesome beach cricket pitches.
Yorke Peninsula is a large coastal playground with plenty of activities & things to see and do for all ages. The young ones will love the playgrounds at Stansbury and Yorketown, while the bigger kids will enjoy the skate parks at Kadina and Moonta. Hop on-board the Moonta Mines Tourist Railway for a journey past historical sites that played a role in Moonta’s copper mining past.
The Port Hughes Tourist Park is at the spectacular northern end of the Yorke Peninsula. The Port Hughes Jetty is popular to fish from – you can expect to catch squid and tommies all year around. The Port Hughes Tavern & General store is also located right by the jetty for all of your needs. So make sure to pop in and enjoy some of the Tavern’s succulent fresh seafood and the view of the boats going out or check out the general store for all your basic supplies & quick takeaway meals.
Located just a 5 minutes from Moonta, which provides a number of services and shops including a large supermarket, butcher, chemist, bakery, hardware store, antique shops and more can all be found here.
On the southern side of Port Hughes there is a new Greg Norman designed golf course – Copper Club The Dunes Port Hughes. The first 9 holes of the world class PGA-standard golf course are open and available to play. If you are a serious golfer, you can join Copper Club or take lessons with a golf-pro. For an after-game drink or meal, drop in at The Deck Bar & Cafe.
We have special accomodation rates for golfers, please enquire on booking. All guests have direct access to Copper Club The Dunes from Port Hughes Tourist Park – you can even drive your buggy from your site or cabin onto the course!
Here are some great ideas for you to try while you’re in the area.
- Explore Innes National Park
- Enjoy a treat at Minlaton Chocolaterie
- Moonta Mines Museum – Hope on board the Moonta Mines Tourist Railways and enjoy a 50minute journey to discover Moonta’s copper mining past.
- Cast a line of the jetty or beach to try your luck catching a whiting of squid
- Rake the shallows for Blue Swimmer crabs
- Snorkel under historic jetties or over reefs and sea grass. There is fabulous diver at Investigator Strait Shipwreck Trail
- Visit George the Giant squid and see a lighthouse at the Wallaroo Heritage & Nautical Museum
- Head to Wallaroo Astronomical Society for a night of free stargazing
- Play with the animals at Ballywire or Tarnsey farms
- See a sheepdog at work or be a ‘farmer for a day’ at Orrie Cowie Merino Stud
- Play laser tag and skirmish at Copper Coast Commandos
- Hire a Kayak or Paddle-board from reception